I spent a good deal of my knitting time this weekend fighting with the gusset on this loverly sock. You see, I’m a pattern gal, at least the first time I make something. Since this is my second pair of socks EVER, I’m sticking to the pattern. Or, at least, I was. I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve ripped out the start of this gusset, because I was supposed to pick up 15 stitches when I had 13 convenient rows to do it in. Each time I tried, I had holes appearing in my fabric. Finally, I threw up my needles in despair, knit a dishcloth, came back to the sock, and ignored the pattern. Voila! No holes.
Here’s my little dishcloth, knit from an old Workbasket pattern and some scrap Sugar ‘n Creme cotton. It’s a great car-knitting project. After the itty-bitty dpns, my number 9 needles felt like tree trunks. It was good.