Olivers with a V

Happy Autumn! It seems I took the summer off from posting. Hey, life is like that sometimes. So, I’ll be posting now and then with projects I finished long ago, such as these socks for my husband. He was quite enthusiastic about the first Oliver socks I knit him, but I didn’t like how the ribbing buckles over the stockinette part of the front of his foot.

The idea with this pair was to continue the ribbing down the front of his foot to see if that would ease the buckling. As it turns out, it doesn’t do a thing! Now we have a different sort of ribbing, but the leg bit still bunches and buckles at the foot. Hrmmm. At least the design change lets me keep the pairs separate in the laundry, though I’m not sure if that’s a good or bad thing. It’s probably a bad one, once he wears a hole in one of the socks.

Details:

Started: 9 Oct 2010
Finished: 2 Feb 2011
Pattern: Oliver by Marlowe Crawford. Link to pattern on Ravelry here. It was $7 US when I bought it.
Yarn: Superwash merino fingering weight yarn in ‘latte’ from the Yarn Gallery. I got a size 10.5 US men’s pair of socks from one skein with plenty left over.
Needles: US 1 / 2.25 mm
Notes: 72 sts around. These were made with 9″ cuffs, which John loves.

My Ravelry project page is here.

3 Comments »

  1. Belinda said,

    October 8, 2011 at 3:47 pm

    The socks are beautiful even if they do buckle a little. Tell Hubby fashion has a price; you can’t look cool and be comfortable. I missed your posts over the summer, glad to see you back at the keyboard.

  2. kimberly said,

    October 16, 2011 at 6:52 pm

    Thank-you for the link – what a great pattern! Nice job and lucky hubby!

  3. Dave Daniels said,

    October 25, 2011 at 10:34 am

    What great socks ! I like the pattern you’ve got there. (I still can’t manage the patience for such fine knitting.)

RSS feed for comments on this post · TrackBack URL

Leave a Comment